The Day of the Lord and our gathering to Him
How we talk about it and think about it
- Grace being scared
- Like a bullied kid when his dad (or more accurately-big brother) shows up
- The devil uses folklore, stories, weather by campfire, books, or movies, to parody reality, so that we will be afraid of the end of the world, or afraid of the resurrection from the dead.
- It is a joyful hope for the bullied kid, and a dreadful fear for the bully!
Hasn’t happened yet
- When it does, you’ll know it!
 So, if they say to you, ‘Look, he is in the wilderness,’ do not go out. If they say, ‘Look, he is in the inner rooms,’ do not believe it.  For as the lightning comes from the east and shines as far as the west, so will be the coming of the Son of Man. (Matthew 24:26-27 ESV)
- Rebellion first
- Man of lawlessness
- exalts himself
- sits in the temple – not in Rome
 “So when you see the abomination of desolation spoken of by the prophet Daniel, standing in the holy place (let the reader understand),  then let those who are in Judea flee to the mountains. (Matthew 24:15-16 ESV)
- proclaims himself to be God
 For many will come in my name, saying, ‘I am the Christ,’ and they will lead many astray. (Matthew 24:5 ESV)
- (Paul says he already told them all of this?!)
- The mystery (hidden message/activity) of lawlessness is already at work.
 He put another parable before them, saying, “The kingdom of heaven may be compared to a man who sowed good seed in his field,  but while his men were sleeping, his enemy came and sowed weeds among the wheat and went away.  So when the plants came up and bore grain, then the weeds appeared also.  And the servants of the master of the house came and said to him, ‘Master, did you not sow good seed in your field? How then does it have weeds?’  He said to them, ‘An enemy has done this.’ So the servants said to him, ‘Then do you want us to go and gather them?’  But he said, ‘No, lest in gathering the weeds you root up the wheat along with them.  Let both grow together until the harvest, and at harvest time I will tell the reapers, Gather the weeds first and bind them in bundles to be burned, but gather the wheat into my barn.’” (Matthew 13:24-30 ESV)
- Jesus will kill him and bring him to nothing by appearing
- Just. By. Appearing.
- Lawless one isn’t Satan, but is sent by Satan to deceive many
- He will have miraculous powers and lead people away from the truth
- This doesn’t mean miracles are evil. When Jesus gets the glory, the devil is not happy.
- I have heard a lot of people automatically think that miracles are from the devil, and I can only imagine how miserable their prayer life must be.
- The man of lawlessness will work miracles for people in the name of unrighteousness.
- When God works a miracle on somebody that isn’t deserving, and doesn’t work a miracle on somebody that we think is deserving, we are missing out on God’s grace, that heals and works according to His plan, while at the same time loving us a ton apart from what we think we deserve.
- Paul is so thankful for them b/c
- The work of the Holy Spirit in their lives
- Their belief in the truth
- Stand firm and keep acting like Christians!
- word they were taught
- words of the letters
- eternal comfort and good hope establish all of our good works and words.